Contact Us

Please review our most requested services and information and frequently asked questions (FAQs) below, where some of your questions may already have been addressed. You can also browse the FAQ collection or submit a question below.

Most Requested Services and Information

Most Frequently Asked Questions

What is the EnerGuide Rating System and how can I use it on my new home?

The EnerGuide Rating System is a system that estimates the annual energy usage of a new house based on house plans prior to construction. It helps new home buyers to choose which upgrades to invest in when upgrades are offered by their builder. Similarly, it helps builders understand how to increase the energy performance of their houses and to choose which upgrades they wish to offer their customers.

To find out more:

Can I get an energy evaluation and EnerGuide rating even if I am not seeking funding?

Yes. Energy evaluations are a great investment in your property. You can identify the best opportunities for energy efficiency improvements, improve your home's energy performance and receive an EnerGuide rating.

Where can I find information on explosive licences or on fireworks and pyrotechnics special effects courses?

The Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD) of Natural Resources Canada is responsible for the administration of Canada's Explosives Act - an act to ensure the safety of Canadians in all matters related to explosives and pyrotechnics. ERD offers a series of courses on bomb threat management and on the safe handling of fireworks and pyrotechnics.

For more information on licences and a schedule of the courses being offered, visit the ERD web site at or contact the general inquiries line at 613-948-5200.

Is Natural Resources Canada responsible for issuing hunting licences in Canada?

No. The ten provinces and three territories regulate hunting within their boundaries. Contact the natural resources ministry in your province or the applicable territorial department responsible for wildlife to obtain more information on hunting licences. Links to provincial/territorial government web sites are available at

Who do I contact regarding employment in forestry with the provinces or territories?

Since forest management is a provincial/territorial responsibility, it is best if you contact the respective agency from the list below for field jobs (e.g., firefighting, reforestation/tree planting, or forestry technician). Note that for some jobs (e.g., firefighting and silviculture) there is a prerequisite for some level of certification or education.

British Columbia
New Brunswick
Northwest Territories
Nova Scotia
Nunuvut Territory
Prince Edward Island
Yukon Territory

What is a fire-dependent species?

Species that need fire in order to replace themselves are fire-dependent. For example, jack pine need the heat from fire to open their cones; otherwise, seeds will not be released and the stand will not be renewed. If enough time passes between fires, other species may invade and eventually eliminate jack pine from the landscape.

I think I've just felt an earthquake. How can I find information on it, and where can I report having felt it?

Reports on significant earthquakes are posted on the Earthquakes Canada website soon after the earthquake. Smaller earthquakes appear in the earthquake maps and lists, usually the next business day. If you felt an earthquake and want to add to our database of felt reports, you can help us by filling out our Did You Feel It? form.
If you have specific questions, you can reach a seismologist through the Earthquakes Canada contacts page.

Where can I find information on aerial photos?

The National Air Photo Library (NAPL) of Natural Resources Canada archives over six million aerial photographs covering all of Canada, some of which date back to the 1920s. NAPL indexes and stores federal aerial photography for Canada, and maintains a comprehensive historical archive and public reference centre.

The NEODF online application allows clients to search and retrieve metadata for over three million air photos using several criteria, including official place name, geographical coordinate, National Topographic System map number, or Roll and Photo number. NEODF online visually depicts the 'footprint' of air photos on a seamless map background. After a search is completed, the air photos can be ordered from NAPL. For brief search instructions follow this link: General Online Search Instructions.

Browse FAQ Collection or Submit a Question

If you still haven't found what you're looking for, you can choose a Topic and Category below in order to browse our FAQ collection or submit a question. Search results will be displayed automatically, based on your selections.

New Search

Frequently Asked Questions

No results found. You can use the Contact us form to submit your question.


Submit a Question

All fields are optional, unless otherwise specified.

Any personal information collected by Natural Resources Canada, whether in print or electronic format, is protected under the Privacy Act.

You have not submitted your e-mail address. We will not be able to respond to your message unless you provide it. If you do not require a response, you may leave this field blank.

Submit a Question

The inquiry was successfully submitted.

General Inquiries: Tel: (613)995-0947

Media Representatives: Tel: (613)992-4447 | TTY: (613)996-4397 |